Friday, November 19, 2010

Welcome to Our Virtual Classroom

As I mentioned in my email earlier today, next Tuesday's class is canceled. Instead, I'm going to ask each of you to contribute to this blog a post about Spielberg's A.I.: Artificial Intelligence. Posting is straightforward. All you have to do is accept my invitation to join the blog, then visit the blog and click on "New Post" on the top of the page. Once you've entered your text and you're ready to publish, click on "Publish Post" and you're all done.

How long should your post be? I'd say at least a couple of hundred words. In any case, it should demonstrate thoughtful reflection about the movie as it bears on the issues that we've been discussing. I also strongly recommend that you read other posts! That's why we're doing this as a blog. You'll find that reading other peoples' posts is a great way to deepen your understanding of the movie, and it might help you to come up with ideas for your final paper, which, of course, can refer to and make us of the films and other media that we're studying.

Finally, here's how the grading works. If you make an acceptable post by midnight next Friday 11/26, then you'll receive credit for attending class on Tuesday 11/23 and for making an in-class contribution (+1 participation point). If you don't make a post, then that will count as an unexcused absence from Tuesday's class (-5 participation points, unless this is your first absence).

If you have any questions about this, please submit them as comments on this post and I'll reply asap.

No comments:

Post a Comment